January 3, 2010

The Meatloaf Cake

THE BITS

[The Now Former Male] is not much of a dessert man. What he lacks in a sweet tooth, I make up for tenfold. He’s much more of a meat and potatoes man. In fact, for his 40th birthday, my mom got him a cooler of meat products… steaks, pork chops, etc. and he loved it. For his 41st, I couldn’t think of how to top that until my mom suggested I make a cake in the shape of a steak. Knowing his penchant for meat, the steak cake evolved into a meatloaf cake… meatloaf, mashed potatoes and stuffing formed into and decorated as a layer cake.

This took almost 3 hours from start to finish to make. It's an all in one meal so I served it with salad.

THE NIBBLES



In addition to the ingredients, you will need two 9-inch round cake pans. I suppose you could use any shape, but you need two to layer properly.

Ingredients:

Stuffing:
I used one box of Stove Top herb stuffing. You can make your own stuffing mix if you prefer, just don’t go crazy with it – you need a simple bread stuffing for this. No oysters, sausage, cranberries, or whatever. You also don’t need very much of it hence the boxed variety. Stove Top takes all of 5 minutes and stuffing isn’t my strong point.

Meatloaf:
You can use your favorite meatloaf recipe or you can use mine. I don’t eat pork so this is all beef:
3lbs ground beef (I use one package of 80/20 and one package of 93/7)
3 carrots diced
3 stalks celery diced
½ white onion diced
½ to ¾ cup Bullseye Original BBQ sauce*
¼ cup ketchup*
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
5-6 grinds of black pepper
1 egg
2 slices of bread
Milk

Dice the carrots, onions, and celery and sauté in pan till soft. Set aside and let cool. In a large bowl shred the bread and add enough milk to make it smushy. I usually smush with a fork. Add seasonings, BBQ and ketchup. This is where I taste the mix to see if I need to add more or not. Add the egg and stir to combine.

Throw the meat and veggies into the bowl and mix together. I use my hands because it’s a lot easier than futzing about with a spoon. Divide evenly among the two cake pans.

*I make another smaller mix of BBQ and ketchup and then spread over the top of the meatloaves for a little glaze.

Mashed Potatoes:
3lbs white potatoes (not Russet!)
¼ - ½ cup milk
Half a stick of butter
Salt and pepper

Peel potatoes, cut in half, boil until soft. Mash with milk and butter till smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let cool a bit.

Gravy: (optional)
Whatever gravy you want. I’m a big fan of using the IKEA Swedish meatball sauce as a gravy for this. Why? Because it’s what I had in my cupboard. I made it with 1% milk instead of cream and it came out fine. This is just for the end when you serve it.


Garnish:
Frozen peas and carrots brought up to room temperature

Procedure:

1.) Start boiling the potatoes
2.) Make the meatloaf, bake at 350F for 25 minutes (leave the oven on when you’re done because you will put this back in the oven for a little while), drain the grease from the pans
3.) Mash potatoes
4.) Let all ingredients cool until you can handle touching them
5.) Make the stuffing
6.) Assemble

Assembly (in pictures!):

1.) cake pans of meatloaf. I would glaze them now before baking:


2.) oops. See? I forgot to glaze so I threw it on after they cooked and after I drained the fat. Notice how much they shrank back from the edge of the pans:


3.) mmmm... mashed potatoes cooling



4.) stuffing!

5.) a schmear of potatoes as a base for the first "cake". NOTE: if you have a flat oven safe dish, assemble on the dish instead of foil. I learned the hard way that foil tears easily under the weight of this monster and later had a hard time moving it to a plate.


6.) I dropped the loaf and it cracked. This is what potatoes are for!


7.) a layer of potato "icing". It won't spread with a knife so just man up and use your hands (hence the reason you need to cool this a bit before assembling. Unless of course you like burning yourself)


8.) stuffing layer! This is the entire box.


9.) the next cake placed much more gently on top this time, glaze side down (so you have a smooth surface for "icing")


10.) behold! layered goodness!


11.) cover with potato "icing" - again with the hands.



12.) Get creative: I used a ziplock bag as a piping bag and used an icing tool to get those edges. Loosely cover this with foil and put this back in the oven for 15-20 minutes to warm everything back up. (if you don't cover it, the potatoes will brown and form a crust)


13.) Garnish: Carrot flowers and a pea "icing" border. Pretty, no? (See note in Step 5 - this is when I figured out the problem.)


14.) Cut and consume:



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My God. I just had a meat-gasm.
I MUST try this.
Just drooling at the thought of it.. Mmmmmm....

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com