in keeping with the holiday spirit, [The Now Former Male] and I made a gingerbread house. YAY!
Except not from scratch.
Once upon a time my mom and I tried to follow Martha Stewart's recipe for a gingerbread house. We made the dough, chilled it, made the templates/stencils, cut out and baked the entire house, and then 8 hours of that BS later we were too tired to even attempt assembly. We gave up and put the cookie sheets of house pieces up high out of reach of cats... and then forgot about them for two months. Once I tried to make one myself and assemble the sides with caramelized sugar, but I burned the fuck out of my hands and the damn thing fell spectacularly to pieces. My patience and the pieces ended up in the garbage can.
Long story short, I decided gingerbread houses are for people who have endless amounts of time on their hands. I am not one of those people.
THE NIBBLES
No ingredients... see above. I cheated and it was worth it because it still took 6 damn hours. And since there are no ingredients, I am only posting photos with comments. Enjoy!









Lesson learned: ice and decorate the roof and side panels BEFORE assembling so as not to have drippy lines. Amazing the kind of common sense that is revealed through trial and error!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

0 comments:
Post a Comment